Grief Support Resources
Every person reacts differently to loss and every person will display their grief differently. You may feel alone, helpless and at a complete loss of what to do and just getting up in the morning can seem like a monumental task. However we know also that in time you will be able to look back and see how each tiny step became the foundations of future hope and possibilities.
MyGriefAssist is an online resource that provides further helpful information on grief and loss. In the exclusive video feature 'Coping with your grief' by Doris Zagdanski the journey of grief is beautifully described complimented with photography and music.
For more comprehensive information on grief, you can visit the MyGriefAssist website.
Other Grief Support
There are many local community organisations that will provide support, as well as some larger well known organisations that work throughout Australia. These include:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- The Salvation Army Counselling Service (all states): 1300 363 622
- Kids' Helpline: 1800 551 800
- NALAG Centre for Loss & Grief, Grief Support line: (02) 9489 6644
- Care Ring (Vic.): 13 61 69
- Community Services Departments of all state governments.
- Connect Groups (WA): 1800 195 575 Mon-Thu. Provides a directory of self help groups and support services in Western Australia.
- Australian Psychological Society: 1800 333 497. Can provide a list of registered psychologists offering counselling services.
- Citizens Advice Bureau (WA): (08) 9221 5711 Mon-Fri. Provides information and advice related to a wide range of services.
- Mental Health Emergency Response Line (WA): (08) 9224 8888 (24 hours). During work hours will provide advice and also assessment for people with mental health problems.
- Crisis Care Helpline (WA): 1800 199 008. Run by Family & Children’s Services. Staffed by welfare professionals and voluntary workers.
- Samaritans (WA): 135 247. Provides traditional range of counselling. Also run a group which meets monthly for those who are left behind following a suicide.
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service in your state, search for ADIS.
- Red Nose Grief and Loss (formerly SIDS and Kids): 1300 308 307 (24/7).
- The Compassionate Friends: 1300 064 068. Offering Support and information to those who have lost a child (any age) or grandchild to death. Also offering some sibling groups.
- Cancer Council Australia: 13 11 20. Nurses and health professionals offering support to anyone affected by cancer.